BY MARGARET AMBROSE, PROJECTORY
The project director of a proposed $1.7 billion business park and homemaker centre development has revealed to Projectory that its construction will mean the creation of thousands of jobs and countless opportunities for service providers.
Anthony Elcheikh from JTX Construction and Development Group, has described HumeX, in the Melbourne suburb of Craigieburn as “an iconic gateway development of landmark proportions.”
The development will deliver nearly 150,000 sqm of retail, office, medical, hotel and entertainment facilities on a 32 hectare site.
HumeX will be located at 650 Hume Highway, in one of the fastest growing residential areas in Australia.
According to Anthony Elcheikh the scope of work will include the construction of “a 12 level hotel, five level Medical centre, five level Building Material display centre, two level home maker and recreation facilities with every conceivable convenience offering from fuel, food and beverage, retail, medical, hotel, showrooms.”
A 11,000 sqm indoor play and entertainment centre will also be built and will be the largest in the southern hemisphere with bounce, fly, climb and water play facilities, childcare, a bowling alley and indoor courts.
Anthony Elcheikh told Projectory that the impact of a development of this size on the construction industry cannot be understated.
“Construction employment during the 48 month construction period, largely local construction and labour, will be well in excess of 4000 full time jobs and additional 2500 plus indirect jobs.”
Hume council granted the planning permit for the site in November in 2015.
It is anticipated that construction will be completed by 2018.
Humex will include:
· A 56,000 square metre building materials display centre;
· A massive indoor play and entertainment centre;
· A 12 level, international hotel with 285 rooms;
· A 7000 square metre medical centre including day surgery;
· Mixed use commercial with supermarket, retail and offices components;
· 50,000 square metres of bulky goods and showroom retail;
· 40 “business nursery” warehouse units;
· A convenience retail and service station, and,
· Parking for 2756 cars and 252 bicycles.